Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Vegetable Bouillon

I posted that I wanted to try this, and I did!

It looked really interesting, but I wasn't quite sure what to do with it after I made it. Sometimes I do things like that. It looks fun or interesting so I try it, but then I think.... now what!?

I found the recipe here at 101 Cookbooks.

I had no idea what celery root looked like.... I had to find a photo on the internet before I went to the grocery store.

I didn't know what a shallot was, either. Sheesh! I couldn't use this one. I didn't notice it was black when I bought it. Good thing I bought three!

Everything but the leeks all weighed and ready for the blender. I forgot to buy the leeks. I went back to the grocery store and bought them the next day. Clockwise from left to right: celery root, parsley, celery, garlic and shallots, carrots, sun-dried tomatoes that I dehydrated last fall. You can find the post here.


I don't have a food processor. I have this mega blender. I wouldn't try this in a little blender....


Everything blended together except the salt.

The recipe calls for alot of salt! I'm sure the salt is there to cure and preserve the veggie puree.

Here's what it looks like blended with the salt.

I put it all in a airtight container and stuck it in the fridge. I added the leeks the next day. I didn't use the fennel or cilantro. Those are not two flavors that our family likes, so I left them out.

Oh, don't taste it yet. Not even a tiny smidge on a spoon. It smells great--but YUCK! It tastes really strong and salty at this point!

I sent some over to two friends who don't mind trying my experiments. I wasn't quite sure what to do with the green sludge myself. One family really enjoys cooking, the other family loves to try my experiments. They are both honest in their feedback, too.

I think I might try to dehydrate some to see if it will be easier to store.

I decided to use it in our Cornish Pastie for dinner last night. I used it as a base to make the sauce. I had to use about 1 1/2 tablespoons in about 1 cup of water to get the taste strong enough to make a difference. Vet2Be thought that the bouillon smelled nasty in the container, but he thought it was great in the pastie.

(you can find the post about how it dehydrated here.)

1 comment:

Farmer's City Wife said...

I saw a recipe for this recently, too. Thanks for posting this! :) I wasn't brave enough to try it out myself but now maybe I will be. If you dehydrate it, let us know how that goes too, please.